Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Saguaro, southern AZ desert, lucky to get out alive


On my way back from California, I stopped in Yuma, AZ, to visit my brother-in-law and his soon-to-be wife. Had a great visit with them, then headed north to Prescott, AZ, to see my best friend. I was way out in the sticks on a non-primary highway when I took this photo.

I got off the motorcycle and tramped over into the brush and rocks, shot about 20 pictures with my digital camera and two film cameras, then headed back to the BMW. That's when I saw the sign saying that the entire area was littered with potentially unexploded bombs or missiles or something. In other words, there were live explosives laying around the desert. Nobody was supposed to be walking around in that part of the desert. But since I didn't see the sign when I was headed into the area, I had no fear of walking around in the danger zone.

The question is, If I had seen the sign, would I still have gone into this area to take these pictures? I don't know the answer to that one. I probably would have done so, but I would have been watching my feet, looking for bombs, etc., rather than concentrating on getting photos.

1 Comments:

Blogger Robert Neno said...

I know this scene well. Somehow you make it seem intriging Somehow you make it seem intriguing. Myself I don’t care for it. That is I don’t care for the place. It’s 12:30am and it’s 97 degrees!!! This is not a place people should live I believe. I like the part about the bombs. When I was in the corps I went out one night on the bombing range looking for illegals. We were on for wheelers, me and finke, and we actually came upon some dummy rounds in the ground. These weren’t grenade size either, these were big fuckers. Interesting is all I can say.

2:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home